Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, Book 1)




Description: He would sell his warrior soul to possess her...

An Alluring laird...
He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart-until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length-but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

A prisoner in time...
She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side... -Amazon

Author: Karen Marie Moning

Release date: 1999
Publisher: Dell
Pages: 416
Source: My personal copy
Reading level: Adult -has graphic sex scenes

Teaser Sentence(s):  I honestly could not decide on just one sentence or small passage to put here. This time I am going to treat you to 3 teaser sentences!


'"He stands almost a hand taller. He has raven hair worn in a sleek tail; smoldering black eyes; the chiseled perfection of a young god and the body of a Viking warrior. It's revolting. May I maim him, my liege? Disfigure his perfect countenance?"'

'Hawk's eyes searched the night sky for yet another falling star. He intended to wish upon every one for the rest of his life if necessary. Surely ten thousand wishes could undo one. But the cloud cover had returned and there wasn't one flicker of a star to be seen in the absolute darkness that surrounded him.'

'In her dreams the Hawk would be waiting for her by the sea's edge; her kilt-clad, magnificent Scottish laird. He would smile and his eyes would crinkle, then turn dark with smoldering passion.'

My thoughts: Well, I was left still craving Scottish men after reading The Scent of a Soul. Especially Scottish men in kilts. I have had this book lying around since I read the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, so I finally picked it up. I really do not know what to say, or where to even start. I wanted to like this book more, but all I can really say was it's okay. It wasn't terrible, but I barely liked it.

 My main problem with this book was Adrienne, the main female character. Due to some past personal issues she swears off beautiful men, and suddenly finds her self taken from 1999 Seattle to appear in 1513 Scotland. Adrienne is the most annoying main-character I have read in a while. By the time she stopped acting like a pig-headed b*tch it was too late for me. I already disliked her too much to make up for it. The time travel aspect of this book threw me off a little, but without it there would be no Sidheach James Lyon Douglas, or Hawk.
 Hawk was the main male character, and I loved him. Notice how all my teaser sentences have to do with him. He made the book readable for me. But who wouldn't like a medieval, viking size Scottish man wearing a kilt. He was very intelligent, handsome and rugged. I think the reason I disliked Adrienne so badly was because of the way she treated him through most of the book. The ending was really sweet, and definitely won Adrienne some points.
 I don't know yet if I would recommend this book to anyone. It is the first in a series, and I do plan to give the next book a try. I am very curious about Adam Black. I have heard other people talking about him on other blogs, so I want to read his book eventually. I have read some other books of Karen Marie Moning and loved them, so maybe this series will get better. *fingers crossed*

Rating:



and a half.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sycho!!

    I already follow your blog so I can't follow again but I will say I get what you mean. So many YA covers are nicer british but when I see a prettier US one I get visited by the green eyed monster. If you read my reviews I always use the UK cover... what with being British. :P

    As a note on your review I have to say I've not read anything by Karen Marie Moning but the leading lady sounds like one of those I'd want to punch in the face so I'll be giving it a miss.

    Char @ From the Shadows I Review

    ReplyDelete