Thursday, January 31, 2013

Warm Bodies




Description: R is having a no-life crisis-he is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he is a little different from his fellow dead. He may occasionally eat people, but he'd rather be riding abandoned airport escalators, listening to Sinatra in the cozy 747 he calls home, or collecting souvenirs from the ruins of civilization. And then he meets a girl.
First as his captive, then his reluctant house guest, Julie is a blast of living color in R's gray landscape, and something inside him begins to bloom. He doesn't want to eat this girl-although she looks delicious-he wants to protect her. But their unlikely bond will cause ripples they can't imagine, and their hopeless world won't change without a fight. -Amazon

Author: Isaac Marion
Release date: April 26, 2011
Publisher: Atria Books
Pages: 239
Source: My personal copy
Reading level: Young Adult -contains lots of bad words and sexual references.

Teaser Sentence: 'What I'm trying to say is, it's a shitty world and shit happens, but we don't have to bathe in shit.'

My thoughts: I really feel terrible calling a zombie adorable, but hell, I thought R was adorable! I actually have an extreme hatred towards zombies. I really can't stand them. My friend loaned me his copies of the Benny Imura series and I read them and liked them, so I thought I would give Warm Bodies a chance. I actually saw previews for this movie back in November and it came off as being out of the norm for zombies. I rarely watch TV or movies, so naturally I went out and got the book. 
 I really was not disappointed in this read. Once you get past the zombies acting on their eating habits it was really funny and adorable. R is absolutely my favorite zombie ever. He can think and talk, though the latter does not come out exactly as he thinks it. I also enjoyed the other characters in this book. R's friend 'M', and Julie and her friends Nora, and Perry were all very well written. Perry was annoying at times, but there is always that annoying person in life. :) The scenery and locations were very well described. The whole zombie infested world was setup in a way it was very easily imaginable.  All through the book I kept wondering how it was all going to come together in the end, and I really wasn't disappointed. I would recommend this book even to a person who not a zombie enthusiast.

Rating:



11 comments:

  1. Looking for your Feature Follow but cannot find it, thanks for the follow returned GFC
    Krista@KristaReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really need to read this one before the movie comes out.
    New GFC follower, found you on Book Blogs :)

    Richa @ City of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I followed you :) Nice blog and nice name!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm planning on reading this book this month before I watch its movie. And btw, thanks for following my blog. I followed you back. :)

    Erleen @ Books For YA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower! Thanks for contacting me at Book blogs. it would be great if you follow back my blogs :)

    www.iknowthatbook.blogspot.com
    www.blackliontours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As th mother of a Teen son who likes movies and games with Zombies, I am finding that some can be endearing!
    Met Via Book Blogs
    M.C.V. Egan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, Love that! Calling a zombie adorable. :D Great start to this one. And I love the sounds of this (book and movie). Thank you greatly for sharing your thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! ^^
    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Just followed back.
    I have to read this before they release the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for following A Bookish Escape! I'm following you via networked blogs :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with your review. Like you, I normally hate zombies, but I'd heard so many good things about Warm Bodies that I decided to just go for it. I'm glad I did, because I effing love this book.

    Great review!

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete