Monday, April 22, 2013

Old Magic


Old Magic
Marianne Curley

Release Date:
October 16, 2000

Publisher:
Simon and Schuster

Pages:
369

Source: 
My Personal Copy

Reading Level:
Young Adult



Description:
No one can fight fate alone.
When Kate and Jarrod first lock eyes across the classroom, their connection is instantaneous. While everyone else shuns Jarrod as a freak, Kate's passionate belief in witchcraft helps her see him for what he truly is-someone with a powerful gift. She is fascinated by what he is capable of...and undeniable attracted to him.
When Jarrod's abilities appear to be linked to a centuries-old curse, Kate is the only one who can help him. Together, they embark on a journey that transcends time and place, and discover a magic that will bind them together forever. ~book blurb


My Thoughts:
At first I thought I was going to like this book. It has witches, curses and awesome magic. Jarrod and Kate weren't outstanding, but they were interesting enough. Then they traveled back in time to the 13th century, and I completely lost interest. I did finish the book, but I felt like I had to force myself to do so. 
I feel misled by the book description. There isn't really an instantaneous connection between Kate and Jarrod. Kate is highly interested in Jarrod, because of the magic she knows he has. Jarrod thinks Kate is a freak. The front cover mentions "an undeniable passion." I think I got the wrong pages in my book, because this undeniable passion is one kiss in the 2nd half of the book. I also missed the part where they 'discover a magic that will bind them together forever.' 
The author did do a good job describing the scenery and location of Australia. I have never been there, of course, but I felt like I had good imagery of the rain forest and river where a lot of this book takes place. I also liked the magic aspects. The curse was a little lame, but the magic Jarrod and Kate are capable of was interesting enough. 
I don't think I would personally recommend this book to anyone, but that's my opinion. I am sure there are people out there that would love this read. I am just not one of them. I would definitely suggest you try to borrow it versus paying for it, if possible.


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment